The Ypsilanti Senior Center is currently closed for in-person activities due to actions taken in relation to COVID-19. See the notice from the Center below and in PDF. Updates will be posted here as the situation evolves. If you have any questions or concerns, especially with regard to receipt of meals that had been provided by the meal program, contact the Center via phone during its normal business hours to reach a staff member.
Ypsilanti Senior Center Update – COVID-19 Preparedness
In light of Gov. Whitmer’s March 10, 2020 declared State of Emergency and related concerns over the spread of coronavirus (COVID 19) in Michigan, the Ypsilanti Senior Center’s Board of Directors has adopted the following protocol to protect the health and safety of program participants, employees, volunteers, and community members. The Ypsilanti Senior Center will continue to monitor and take guidance from federal, state, and local health organizations, including the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, CDC, and the Washtenaw County Health Department.
Stage 1: Heightened Awareness
- Current health department guidelines will be prominently displayed;
- Individuals at the Ypsilanti Senior Center will be reminded that handwashing is critically important to preventing the spread of illness. Hand sanitizer will be readily available for frequent use;
- Extra diligence will be used to disinfect objects/surfaces which may harbor the virus by staff and volunteers;
- Employees/volunteers feeling sick will be directed to stay home;
- Visitors displaying symptoms will be asked not to visit the Ypsilanti Senior Center;
- Frequency of current cleaning protocols will be increased;
- Additional signage to encourage users to practice healthy personal hygiene habits.
Stage 2: Limited Closure
- Only programs deemed to be essential will take place (i.e. nutrition/meal program);
- Only essential employees/volunteers will be permitted at the Ypsilanti Senior Center;
- Ypsilanti Senior Center will take all reasonable steps to fulfill essential program needs while simultaneously minimizing contact with potentially-infected individuals (i.e. providing meals to be picked up/delivered);
- Above Stage 1 protocol will be followed.
Stage 3: Complete Closure (currently in effect)
- All Ypsilanti Senior Center programs/events will be indefinitely suspended;
- All Ypsilanti Senior Center employees will be directed to work from home.
Stage 3 is currently in effect. The stage currently in effect will be published on our website www.ypsiseniorcenter.org. Please check the website before visiting the Center.
In addition to our efforts, there are steps you can take to help keep you and the Senior Center safe:
- Stay home if you feel sick. The best thing for you and for others is to stay home.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, and immediately throw the tissue in the trash and clean hands by washing or with sanitizer.
- Consider alternatives to shaking hands for greetings
The Ypsilanti Senior Center is committed to keeping all those affected by the State of Emergency fully informed. The Ypsilanti Senior Center will start development of a phone-tree system so that members of our community can be quickly informed of any developments.
Thank you in advance for your patience, understanding, and cooperation during this stressful situation. Please do not hesitate to contact the Ypsilanti Senior Center with any questions or concerns. Like “Ypsilanti Senior Center” on Facebook for updates on the Senior Center’s status.
This situation may change quickly. Ypsilanti Senior Center Staff & Board of Directors are continually monitoring the situation with local agency partners. We are committed to sharing new information as it becomes available. Please refer to the following websites for the most current information:
Washtenaw County Health Department Updates
How to be Prepared for Coronavirus Fact Sheet
COVID-19 What you Need to Know Fact Sheet
CDC Flu Estimates